Congratulations on deciding to get married!
Completing the process for your marriage license can be done in three easy steps:
- Complete the online application (make sure to fill out all fields) and click the Finish button when done.
- Come into the Wasco County Clerk’s Office to show your proof of identity and pay for the license.
- After the marriage ceremony is done, return the license to our office so it can be recorded.
Additional helpful information is below, and each step of the online application process has tips on the right-hand side of the screen. If you have any questions or concerns while filling out the application, feel free to call or come into our office and we’ll help you.
3-DAY WAITING PERIOD AND LICENSE CONDITION
There is a three-day waiting period from the day the license is issued until it can be used. Once the license is effective, it is valid for a 60-day period. A license obtained in Wasco County can be used anywhere in the State of Oregon. No extensions of time or refunds of money are made once the license is issued.
Legal age for marriage in the State of Oregon for both applicants is 18 years-of-age. A seventeen-year-old can be married if the parent or guardian gives consent. The parent or guardian must complete a Parental Consent for Marriage of a Minor form at the time the applicants apply for their marriage license. There is a $15 fee for per minor for the Clerk to certify this form.
APPLICATION TIPS AND OTHER INFORMATION
- If you were previously married, you’ll need the exact date of your divorce to complete the application (contact the Wasco County Circuit Court, link is to the left).
- The application requires the birthplace of each parent, so you might want to have that handy
- Check all information on your application carefully to make sure there are no mistakes!
- Medical examinations and blood tests are no longer required by the State of Oregon in order to obtain the marriage license
- Oregon State law does not allow the marriage of first cousins or nearer kin
FEES AND OFFICE HOURS
The fee for the license is $50.00. Cash, check or credit/debit cards are accepted, but please note there is an additional fee for card processing. Our office hours for marriage licenses are 9:00 A.M. to 11:30 A.M. and 1:00 P.M. to 3:30 P.M., Monday through Friday. Please allow 30 minutes to obtain a license. The Clerk’s Office is located in the Wasco County Courthouse, 511 Washington Street, Suite 201, The Dalles, OR. Be sure to check the county web site for Courthouse closures to make sure the Courthouse is open
Once the marriage has taken place, and the completed marriage license is returned to the County Clerk, an official "certified" copy of the license can be obtained from the County Clerk for $7.75. The certified document is considered the "legal" copy, and can be used by the applicants to change their name on items like a driver's license or social security card. A decorative marriage certificate will be provided. These are not legal documents and may not be used as proof of marriage. If an issued license is lost or destroyed, it can be replaced at the County Clerk’s office.